Saturday, 30 May 2015

Meet Myrtle

One of the first things I treated myself to when I moved in to my flat getting on for 2 years ago was a dressmaking mannequin. My Lovely Mum named her Myrtle; suits her doesn't it?

Here she is modelling an a dress I adapted for a Murder mystery dinner party set in 1942. I picked up the black net embellished with shiny turquoise for the bargain price of £3 a yard in the sale at Divine John Lewis. I was going to make a whole dress, but lack of time meant I got as far as the overskirt and panicked! So I quickly hand sewed it over my only evening dress and added a sash to cover the dodgy stitching!

It's taken me a while, but I've finally got my craft room pretty much sorted now. Well, moving across the country and new jobs can take a bit of getting used to!


My craft room also doubles as a guest room, but I am lucky to have a big enough space to fit all my fabric/felting stashes, my adored sewing machine and all the rest of my crafty bits and bobs

I do pack away the wool tops when I have guests, honest!


I'm especially pleased with my narrow filing cabinet that was I have given a loving home to when I found out it was going to be dumped. I'm planning on painting it in a rainbow of colours; it has 14 drawers, so I will use the  colours of the rainbow twice, in gloss and a shimmery finish

Now all I need to do is to find my scissors so I can crack on with cutting out the fabric for a vintage style pinny for Beloved Son's Spiffing Girlfriend's birthday present!

4 comments :

  1. Nice craft area. Makes a huge difference having an area set aside, doesn't it? I'm loving my new area. Very envious of your Myrtle. One day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, it's worth keeping an eye on eBay... I picked her up for just a tenner locally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myrtle suits her beautifully!
    All that black lace.......
    Maggie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rae and Hi Myrtle . . . glad to see you are as crafty as ever . . . :) xo

    ReplyDelete